Thursday, January 18, 2018

What does it mean to copyright a website? And what good does it do me?

I have always worked my websites under the assumption that I can not use anything I didn't create or get express permission for. Here is wisdom to the affect. Being Safe about Copyright.

But what about my work?
This information is useful. copyright
I have always kinda assumed this quote "Original work is copyrighted from the moment of creation, provided it’s fixed in tangible form." Which is one reason some of my creative work is on this blog somewhere, I wanted to have evidence it was mine before anyone could lay claim to it. 
You could use a copyright symbol to hammer the point home, but "you don’t even need the notice to claim copyright; the law eliminated the requirement of public notice in 1989."

For $35 you can legally file a copyright, which allows you to sue for infringement, but it only includes the parts of the website that are uploaded at that time, or you could file for a 3 month copyright.


That all seems like a lot of work and money for a starving college student. So I would normally just let things be copyrighted from creation. However, when I consider that the most sincere form of flattery is imitation, I would be honored to have others think anything I have done on this blog are worth sharing, and I am excited to be part of the sharing economy. My conclusion to do a creative commons style licensing, this licensing will allow others to use and share my work. I would love my work to be shared and passed around, but I am not sure how I feel about other people making money off my work. 


Behold, my sidebar says it all.

4 comments:

Kendra Hacker said...

I agree with you! I think that sharing my work and ideas with others is alright as long as I am attributed in some way. I would hate it if people used my work and ideas to make money. Also, I loved your statement on imitation is the best form of flattery. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Unknown said...

I like how you included the CC license right in your sidebar. I'm still waiting to find out from my employer which type of CC license I can apply, so I haven't gotten any further with the process.

Can you tell me (briefly is fine) how time-consuming or in-depth the process of applying for the CC license is? I'm assuming you were able to receive the license almost immediately after application. ??? What can you tell me about the process?

Round Belly said...

I have copywrited for my business. The form is straightforward, about 1-2 hours. Then you send it in with money, and wait 6-8 weeks for a reply. It can probably all be done online now. For book publishing through Amazon, it is automatic and painless.

Round Belly said...

sorry, I confused the CC with copywriting. The CC form is free, and is done in 5 minutes on their website.