Wednesday, April 04, 2018

Studio Tour: Andrew Hanson

Andrew Hanson's Bible Time blog project fascinates me from the perspective of trying not to be a teacher. I teach adult Sunday school, (and substitute for seminary ie: every morning teen scripture class) and also Argument and Exposition this semester and as I read his posts I want to do what all teachers should do best: ask questions! Every time he says something, I want to ask a question in the margins.

I love his initiative on the topic, how he has jumped in and try to understand and explain the verses he tackles. I am not sure the blog format is particularly better suited for this than a wiki would be, except for Andrew's desire not to have his words changed, in which case the blog is best.

When background information is given and links are given to connect the reader to a better understanding of the topic, it makes good use of the medium like his post connecting us links on burnt offerings and God's ransom. I also noticed that they linked to 2 different religious pages, one a non-denominational Christian, specifically on-line ministry and the other is a  Jehovah's Witness. With other posts, the trend continues as Andrew connects us to a wide variety of Christan theological studies. As a reader, it frustrates me that the links don't automatically open in a new tab and I have to hit the back button to continue on the blog.

Andrew gives us a nice amount, enough to learn something, but not enough to be overwhelmed by, of background information on these verses but doesn't tell us where he got this information, obviously, he knows his way around bible scholar sites, but a little credit to the source wouldn't be so bad.

After Andrew expounds on each verse he gives a nice summary of the blog post. Then Andrew ends each of his blog posts with "Thanks, Andrew" That is an interesting touch I don't often see on blogs. Does it make it personal, or does it make it epistolary? And in that case is he following the example of Paul?


No comments: