Wednesday, April 04, 2018

Studio Tour: Bonnie's Blog

Bonnie Robinson has been consistently blown me away with her thorough, well thought out and very well organized work this semester. I have looked up to her to understand how to be a graduate student. Her final project is no exception.

ok, Bonnie, that's a lot of writing in the last few weeks. One of these days, I'm going to get through it and finish this post.

That reminds me, thank you for the post on Abe's. I'm always looking for vegan eats when I'm in Rochester. I'll be there next May 14th. :) Maybe we can chat in a coffee house together :) And while we are discussing your post on Abe's, I didn't see a link to their website. Perhaps you could provide one? (although I did easily search it up). You could also provide links to other places you bring up, like the Rochester Public Library.

I feel like I am writing in a totally post-modern way, jumping time and styles and streams of consciousness in the middle of the paragraphs, but if anyone could handle it, you can Bonnie, after all, you've studied some Hemingway - the joys of teaching college-level English.

Bonnie is attempted to unfold and then mesh the histories of coffee houses and the internet, especially in their relation to the free exchange of ideas. This is rooted in the first-hand experience at local coffee houses in the Rochester, MN area, where she makes 3 different visits, including interviewing the owner, or barista for a better understanding of the underlying philosophies of the place.

She does a good job in these interviews. They are well constructed and relevant to her overall connections. I find them most fascinating. This project stands out as one that clearly has not reached its apex yet. It hasn't reached a critical mass for nuclear connection, which Bonnie hopes to achieve, and I  look forward to reading.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Raya - Your words are way too kind! I am equally impressed with your work and your ability to balance a family of little ones and still find energy to do creative and academic work. I think I got through the years of teaching when my kids were young in zombie mode. I certainly wasn't making cool wikipedias of their creations, I know that. Way to go, Mamma!

As for getting together in person to have a coffee or a yummy vegan lunch at Old Abe's in May - that sounds awesome! I'd love to meet if you have time! As you read in the post, it's a great place to bring your kiddos too!

It was a complete oversight to not hyperlink to Old Abe's, so thanks for pointing that out. I purposefully did not link to the library, but I can always reconsider. The library is an awesome place, and it deserves the attention of a link, but I was also trying to consider whether or not links can get distracting. I appreciate the feedback very much!

Thank you for taking the time to read my pieces so closely. You were very right about one thing... it was a lot of writing! I feel like I'm running out of steam a little bit, but your words are encouraging! Thanks again and I hope your project is going well! I really think it's an amazing idea and something your whole family will cherish!