Thursday, December 10, 2020

Thank You

 When I said thank you that day, I meant it. Thank you for pulling me over, thank you for giving me a ticket, thank you for giving me a smaller speeding ticket than I really deserved.

It was a beautiful January day, the sky was blue. The roads were clear and I was going home from a nice little training. I felt like I was flying in the beautiful sunshine. Then my mom called and I wasn't paying much attention to that small highway. I started to feel like I was or could lose control, but the phone call was distracting me. Then I saw the lights in my mirror, glanced down and saw that I was moving my little beast at 90 mph, and quickly pulled over and hung up.

He asked if I knew why he pulled me over. I told him because I thought he saw me on the phone (and that was just made illegal to talk on a handheld phone in the car). Luckily, he didn't seem to register that and said it was because I was speeding. Naturally, I lied when he asked if I knew how fast I was going. I began to realize the potential danger he saved me from, but kept a straight face and sincerely thanked him. I have rolled a car before and all it would have taken was a small patch of ice, kept from thawing because of tree shadowing on this small winding highway. He then said he'd downgrade the ticket I should receive so it wouldn't stay on my record. I thanked him for that too. I realized the $100 was a very cheap price to pay compared to the other possible consequences. 

Some people get mad when they get pulled over or given a ticket, frankly, I was glad. So I will say it again. thank you, Officer, Just for doing your job.

No comments: