Thursday, March 15, 2018

Weekly Relection for Final Project #1

Monster Wiki is up and running. Good news. I have made/set up an awesome wiki. Once I learned the new system it became a breeze to load up pictures and put introductions on each monster. We have 46 pages on the wiki. The most work went into the Index, which is a great place to get an overview of what is currently on the wiki. I am not a programmer, so I am not sure how to make the index to build its self... so it will probably continue to be done manually.

To be honest I did not do all 46 pages of the wiki this week. I started several weeks ago, hoping it would work as this project, but knowing it would be worthwhile effort even if it did not. The additional pages of monsters that I thought might take longer, went up quickly with my son's drawing and input all week. These are fun because they create a connected reading and linking throughout that section of the wiki. I hope to introduce more of this interlinking between monsters. The Squawkapus is a good one to start this bit of interlinking tour on.

Moving forward, my largest obstacle will be to get the reading done and written about. The other large stepping stone is drawing people to it. The Facebook page and posts have drawn more interest on average each week. We get a few new views every day or two. Each post we make we invite viewers to the wiki, but so far the wiki has remained mostly viewerless, not to mention without other participants. I have a backup plan of offering pumpkin cookies to my father to add things to the wiki, but first I will see if there are less obvious-bribing ways to draw participants.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This looks great! What a great imagination your son has! I love your project! I think this would be something my two boys would like doing. They also love to draw (and write). Seems like a great summer vacation project for us! Thanks, Raya!

Round Belly said...

Bonnie, Invite your sons to add to the monster wiki. It could be fun. Even if they just wanted to print out and color and then upload their color version, it would be awesome.