Saturday, May 11, 2019

20 years

What do you see when looking at 20 years of pictures?

I'm no longer skinny, you never really were
You no longer have hair, I have grey streaks in mine
wrinkles meet at both our eyes
does every wrinkle hold a story of laughter and mirth?
or is there pain buried in those lines?
are the war stories we tell verified there?

What happened between these photos?
twenty years or more
kisses + sex + babies
Homes + Cars + chores
anger at your unfaithfulness
not to me, but to yourself
why could you not push through
why would you not finish anything?
but always leave half done chores
for me to finish, often behind your back
because you never admitted defeat- just quit
rooms left with undone art
full of tools, unutilized
no hope nor dreams of yours
ever withstood the test of time
no dream was worth achieving
always found excuses to why it was no longer worth the work

then why was marriage worth it?
Did I make it too easy?
I gave you everything I had
I wanted you to grow and flourish in my feathered nest
I wanted you to grow into a man
a man who is not afraid to do things
and occasionally do them well

No comments: