Thursday, May 02, 2019

Snippets

The child spins in circles
she sings, flaps
nonsensical ditties
of joy and pain

they make love by holding hands, while the world dissolves around them

you, the one that took risks, not playing chess, choosing instead your own rules. your own board, and all the characters of your creation

Kitchen counter-
littered with pizza boxes, pop cans, piled with papers- bills of years long past, bags of last month's groceries, never put away- shots of insulin, prescription papers still folded in squares and doctor summaries- All this I get to clean out when you die

All that I love tonight:
sunsets of chirping birds
acrid smell of leaves tossed on the fire
flaming marshmallows
crisp air
might be lost tomorrow
when I return to school

I remember the scent of my father's halitosis but his conversation was too interesting to turn away

I wanted to return to the sunbleached shores with unstable fishing piers
home to the ten families that remained in adobe huts
faded, by the jade sea

My grandmother's
voice rises and falls
songs of old
of ancestors
of heritage

Shower hope
confess the possible
Earth
Created
lucky soothing
electric vibrations

No comments: