Wednesday, July 09, 2008

A Day in my Life

I am the subject of an article in a new magazine called "Raw". for the article they wanted a typical day in my life. Here it is:

A day in the life of Raya
30 year old Mom of 5.
Tuesday July 8th
4:30 am- diaper change and feeding of baby- in a sleepy haze
6 am- diaper change and feeding of baby- in a mostly sleepy haze. Baby sleeps in a bassinet right next to us at night, when she is not in our bed. She is often nursed in bed- especially at night and is happiest being next to Mommy all night.
7:25- alarm goes off- snooze is hit
7:30- alarm goes off- snooze is hit
7:35 ect
7:40 ect
7:45 alarm goes I, I finally pull myself out of bed enough to turn it officially off and go and wake up the boys. Get dressed, find the granola bars I hid in the closet. Wake up boys again and remind them that if they can’t get up they will miss this morning’s activities. Ewan is the first awake. Galen follows. I check my email and respond to new sales and questions.
8:00am give Ian one last chance to wake up- I leave him in bed. I kiss Daddy good by and tell him I’m taking the boys in.
8:09 we pull out of the driveway and drive to town.
8:15 chiropractor visit.
8:25 go to fabric storage in town and cut a yard of fabric a customer ordered. Galen has to go potty.
8:30 We are back in the car and Galen informed me he couldn’t find the potty- so we stop at Grandma’s for a quick potty break. Grandma shows me a new pink sweater she got for Shannon baby. She sends some movies home with me.
8:45 I drop the kids off at the activity in town, They will go bowling and make some homemade icecream.
9:am make it home- Daddy meets me was I walk in the door with a hungry baby girl. I change her and feed her.
9:30 check my email- finish calculations on the sales I shipped yesterday.
10- go through my cedar chest- pulling out clothes to get rid of (mostly very worn out clothes that really need to be replaced).
10:30- I change and feed Shannon again – while writing a proposal on graphic design work for my husband.
11- finish printing out new sale receipts, go to pack new orders and finish old ones at a small storage building 200 feet away. Ian and Clay wake up. Ian cries because he missed the activities.
11:30 head to town to drop off shipping and pick up boys.
12:00 pick up boys and cousin for an afternoon of playing “outdoors”.
12:25 come home, check email, help Clay and Ian to change and dress. Start the mac and cheese for kid’s lunch. And discuss with Mike what we should do for our lunch.
12:30 change and feed Shannon.
1:00 pm finish mac and cheese, feed to kids with baked beans and fruit. Make toasted ham and cheeses for Mike and I (He actually made his own, and I thought it looked good so I made one too).
1:30 clean up kitchen some- sweep office room, pick up trash.
2 pm Shannon is changed- I bring her with me for a feeding and nap.
5 pm Mike wakes me up with the most recent episode of “The Daily Autistic Fit” staring Galen.-Shannon on one side and Clay on the other. wow did I really sleep that long? Check email- respond as needed. Check the dinner menu. Taco salad.
5:30 start dinner by defrosting hamburger. Mike joins me and adds his favorite salsa. I mix up the salad.
6pm Dinner time- all family gathered in for prayer before they can eat.
6:30- change and feed Shannon. Chat on IM with my mother, sister and cousin.
7:pm family movie time “Big Business” with Bette Middler and Lily Tomlin. The boys loose interest in the “girl movie.” And watch pink panther cartoons in the other room.
9pm time to make snack- I make chocolate oaties (also known as unbaked chocolate cookies).
9:15 Family (sans one sleeping Ewan) is gathered to the kitchen table again for Prayer and scripture reading. Once they have read their verse they are allowed their snack. Mommy and Daddy finish off the chapter while the kids happily – and hopefully quietly munch.
9:30 bed time. Time to take care of Ian. He has no nerves to his bladder or bowels and requires some help. I have him sit on the potty for 15 minutes while. I read a Dr Suess book to the kids. Ian can hear and see from where he is. Then I catheterize him to empty his bladder and enema him. This process takes between 30 and 50 minutes. Then I help him dress and send him to bed. Wash my hands really well and feed Shannon.
11pm I check my email and all the blogs I follow. I write my blog for the day (or several days).
12 am turn off computer, and get to bed (brush teeth, floss, and wash face, say prayers and change and feed Shannon.

1 comment:

cat said...

sounds kind of familiar give or take parts hear and there... but goodness Shannon must be an eater!!