Tuesday, July 29, 2008

PIcs de jour and thoughts about clothes




Shannon is an angel and starting to look more like an older baby then a newborn. She weighs 13 pounds and is 24.5" long. And she actually slept a whole 6 hours (in a row) last night. Wow- that means I got to sleep 5 1/2 hours in a row last night!

I noticed today that the little dress she is wearing is about the 2nd most worn item she has owned. I like analyzing what clothes people actually wear and why they do. To me, designing a piece of clothing that people will wear until there is nothing but bare threads is the ideal. It means that my clothes was loved while it was on.

So anyways.... this is about the 4th or 5th time Shannon has worn this striped pink dress. And the there are several reasons why it has that many wearings. 1. It is cute and very girly. 2. It was bought used for $.99 off of eBay so I don't have to worry about staining it or wearing it out. 3. It fits, at first as a dress, and now as a shirt over pants.

So in general it is the design of the dress and then the lack of worry about it.

Kinda fascinating.... kinda says a lots for pre-used clothing.

And on that same line of thought... I talked with Karen of Wild Rose Farm and she was telling me that she is going to change business, do more food farming and less clothes sewing. And one reason why is because at many of the art fairs so goes to, she gets people in her booth her stop by and say "HI, I already have a jacket and a rug and love them." But they don't buy more, because the jacket and rug don't wear out.

I have a nice handful of jackets from her, and they do not wear out. I have, however, worn some of her skirts and pants enough to literally wear them out- after 5 years of hard use.

Come to think of it, about 1/2 my wardrobe is from Karen. More then 1/2 in the maternity suitcase.

No comments: