Sunday, October 07, 2007

Ian's new scheduel

I am beginning to believe urologists are dense and GI doctors are optimistic.

Ian's urologists insist that we cath him 4 times per day- because they insist he doesn't have any bladder control. But Ian has been completely emptying his bladder into the toilet for 5 days now. I have only noted him wetting his pull up once. And then we have been keeping a chart for all the things we "must" do for Ian and the chart has 4 spaces for cathing . But every time we cath, we draw just a few drops. It does indeed seem that he has been peeing very well. I have charted how much we draw and plan to present this to our nurses and doctors in a petition for a bladder scanner prescription. Which the urologists can not see the usefulness in it, because they believe he has no control at all in his bladder " the tests show...". How I long to explain to them how wrong the tests are. But I will have to show them instead.

Meanwhile the GIs believe that all they have to do is clear his bowels and they will start acting normally. This is our second time around this one. I refused to leave until they gave us a routine that should help keep his bowels clear. So his stool softener is doubled, and he sits on the toilets, but his bowels seem in no desire to kick into gear. And it is much harder to tract when and how much he is pooping and how much he should poop. And one GI intern even went so far as to suggesting that we need to feed him more high fiber foods. (every one is allowed to giggle now). Of course he never asked what our normal diet is. Ian lives off of fresh organic produce, fruits, nuts, beans and whole grains. A few years ago I was tracking what I was eating with my personal trainer and I averaged over 100 grams of Dietary fiber per day. (USDA recommended is about 35 grams).

So anyways, we have carefully selected a few cathings to skip (I record this on the chart too) and then see if it makes any difference in the cath next time (which so far it doesn't). And we keep assuring Ian that as long as his bladder stays empty the more we can hopefully stop cathing him in the future.

1 comment:

Paul said...

Nice informative blog.