Friday, March 17, 2006

Cycles

My sister has a very different and varied selection of friends. So she always has interesting points of view and lifestyles to chat about. Recently several of her friends recommended a book entitled "Getting It On" As I understand it it is about sex and sex techniques for those who need more to do in the bedroom.

I used this occasion to conclude that "Some people have sex. Others reproduce as nature intended. "

Having been married 8 years tomorrow and having 4 children in that time frame, I feel as if I am too busy dealing with the repercussions of sex to worry about more things to do in the bedroom. If the strange chance actually occurs where we can spend some time alone together (and falling asleep in front of the TV does not count) then we have to get to it right away and have no time to waste before the children A) wake up B) burn the house down or C) the neighbors call the cops because the kids are obviously not being watched.

What is also strange is that this conversation about My sister's new book (it is actually on loan to her from a friend) and a newsletter from 7th Generation products about the release of their new 100% organic tampons happened upon the same day.

What most interested me about the new tampons is that I was not interested. Tampons are not a major part of my life. In fact monthly cycles are not a regular part of my life. I have not had regular cycles in 8 years. And I do not miss it. ( I have been pregnant or nursing the whole time, averaging maby 1 real cycle between babies). Historically "that time of the month" is something to fear talking about. My husband just agrees that it is something to fear.

But when one looks at what life was like before birth control, one can almost surmise that regular cycles did not happen with married women. Let's look at a "typical" life of a women 1000 years ago.
1) birth-1st menses about 13 years
2)1st menses- time to get married off
3)marriage = sex =pregnancy=baby=nursing=no cycles until time to get pregnant again.
4) this happened over and over until menopause and thus the end of fertility.
wahlaw! very few cycles and many children. And therefore when menses did occur it was rare and maybe worthy of a little curiosity or time with out all the little children.

Anyways....sex and babies coexsisted for millions of years until birth control- it's a good thing some thing had to make up for the lack of chocolate. :)

No comments: